The key features of the School Direct PGCE Secondary with QTS includes:
- Trainees become a member of the staff team immediately, observing, supporting and team teaching alongside highly skilled practitioners
- Regular partnership conferences in a purpose built teaching centre which are led by Specialist Leaders of Education (SLE) and practicing teachers. These conferences focus on a full range of professional practice including Behaviour for Learning, SEND & Inclusion and Assessment.
- Subject knowledge is deepened in both placement schools and during the twelve days at the University of Cumbria, Lancaster Campus.
- Quality support and feedback is at the core of the course as each trainee is assigned their own school-based mentor who are outstanding teachers who have been trained in coaching and mentoring skills. Trainees will usually meet their mentor on the induction day in the summer term which eases concerns about the first day in September.
- Trainee teachers are fully integrated into the life of the school and can be involved in residential trips, extra-curricular activities, attached to a form group and assigned a lunch & break duty which they do alongside an experienced colleague.
- Mock interview days that prepare trainees for employment opportunities
- Enrichment opportunities in Green Lane Special Education School and transition experience in primary & secondary schools in the partnership will broaden understanding of education.
Examples of topics studied include:
- The Science of Learning
- Teach Like A Champion strategies; No Opt Out, Be Seen to be Looking, Positive Framing, Least Invasive Intervention
- The importance of relationships in managing behaviour
- Wellbeing and Mental Health
- Curriculum Planning & Sequencing
- Special Education Needs and Disabilities